Red Dot Arms Forum
Anyone doing much reloading these days? - Printable Version

+- Red Dot Arms Forum (https://rdaforum.com)
+-- Forum: Gunsmithing (https://rdaforum.com/forum-54.html)
+--- Forum: Ask a reloading expert! (https://rdaforum.com/forum-70.html)
+--- Thread: Anyone doing much reloading these days? (/thread-2027.html)

Anyone doing much reloading these days? - fromtheplaines - 11-24-2015

I was reloading rem 12 gauge hulls with 700x 1 ounce if 8 shot with the fig 8 hulls. But have moved to AA with 1 ounce if reclaimed shot claybuster AA clone wads and WST powder. Super happy with the powder and reclaimed shot. The hulls I am not as crazy about but it may just be the wads. I am hoping to start a handicapped load soon. And hopefully start reloading some 308 but I haven't done any metallic reloading

What are you guys reloading and why?

RE: Anyone doing much reloading these days? - BelieveIn308 - 11-24-2015

I reload .308x51 Nato, because of cost. I have also reload some .223 Rem. I am a rank beginner, and do the reloading for cost. I have tried different powders, but usually only use Varget now. I have the dies for .45ACP, .40S&W and 9mm, but have only done one or two batches of those (2-3 hundred at a time).

I find the savings in reloading the .308 more than covered the reloading set up expense. I do notice that my reloads seem to be very consistent, especially at longer ranges. But I only get to shoot at 500 yds plus twice a year. So I would say that I barely notice the improved accuracy from my reloads, but that is the fault of the shooter.

RE: Anyone doing much reloading these days? - jahilton1 - 11-25-2015

I reload 9mm and getting ready to load 357. I can maintain a consistent load for better accuracy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

RE: Anyone doing much reloading these days? - fromtheplaines - 11-25-2015

(11-24-2015, 11:11 PM)BelieveIn308 Wrote: I reload .308x51 Nato, because of cost. I have also reload some .223 Rem. I am a rank beginner, and do the reloading for cost. I have tried different powders, but usually only use Varget now. I have the dies for .45ACP, .40S&W and 9mm, but have only done one or two batches of those (2-3 hundred at a time).

I find the savings in reloading the .308 more than covered the reloading set up expense. I do notice that my reloads seem to be very consistent, especially at longer ranges. But I only get to shoot at 500 yds plus twice a year. So I would say that I barely notice the improved accuracy from my reloads, but that is the fault of the shooter.

The cost of the brass rounds kept me away from.556 and 308. I had some tullamo steel case in 308 that wasn't too bad. But I want to make the switch to brass. I originally was looking at a .270 rifle but I heard the 308 is easier and cheaper to load

RE: Anyone doing much reloading these days? - mikereddot - 11-25-2015

Yeah, but some of that Tulla is not always the best for precision guns.

RE: Anyone doing much reloading these days? - fromtheplaines - 11-25-2015

Yea I could imagine. I kind of view it like reclaimed shot. If it's close that is fine but if I am advising distance I will pick a higher quality ammo