Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Modern Sporting Rifle
01-06-2017, 06:41 PM,
Modern Sporting Rifle
Threads: 12
The question I am raising, is simple purchase a fully decked out AR-15, or buy a plain-jane and upgrade it to suit your needs?
For me, I prefer going with plain-jane and upgrading to fill specific needs. Such as one has a bull barrel and a long range 4X24 50mm scope, and another is strictly M4 tactical with full length free float M-Lok rail.

What are your thoughts?
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein
For me, I prefer going with plain-jane and upgrading to fill specific needs. Such as one has a bull barrel and a long range 4X24 50mm scope, and another is strictly M4 tactical with full length free float M-Lok rail.

What are your thoughts?
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein
Website Find
01-07-2017, 11:49 PM,
RE: Modern Sporting Rifle
Threads: 124
(01-06-2017, 06:41 PM)GunnyTim Wrote: The question I am raising, is simple purchase a fully decked out AR-15, or buy a plain-jane and upgrade it to suit your needs?

What are your thoughts?

My first though is that a 4x24 50mm scope is overkill for an AR15. Heck a 3x9 scope is probably too much for an AR. Way to much scope for the rifle. I'd go with a 1-6x24 tactical scope or a red dot with 3x magnifier. I think you can find a little better quality AR to start out and avoid needing a lot of upgrades. At least that is what I have always done. I have Grip BiPods and Geissele SSA-E triggers on all my AR platforms. Usually the only other upgrade I think about is a different charging handle. Just my thoughts.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
(01-06-2017, 06:41 PM)GunnyTim Wrote: The question I am raising, is simple purchase a fully decked out AR-15, or buy a plain-jane and upgrade it to suit your needs?

What are your thoughts?
My first though is that a 4x24 50mm scope is overkill for an AR15. Heck a 3x9 scope is probably too much for an AR. Way to much scope for the rifle. I'd go with a 1-6x24 tactical scope or a red dot with 3x magnifier. I think you can find a little better quality AR to start out and avoid needing a lot of upgrades. At least that is what I have always done. I have Grip BiPods and Geissele SSA-E triggers on all my AR platforms. Usually the only other upgrade I think about is a different charging handle. Just my thoughts.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find