Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A real time winter experience...
02-22-2017, 07:08 PM,
A real time winter experience...
Threads: 124
A few weeks ago, I got to test some gear I had not planned on testing. My Furnace died on a Saturday night (it was 10-12 degrees outside), and they could not get a new Furnace until Monday morning. I tested a wood barrel stove, which I fired up in the basement. I tested the venting. The stove worked perfectly, and threw off a lot of heat. That with the fireplace kept the house around 50-55 degrees until Monday morning. The main lesson I learned is to keep firewood closer to the house.

So I now recommend Preppers, planning to bug in consider a Barrel stove or two. The kits to make them are about $45. The venting cost me $60 or so (Big R, carries a surprising number of options). I used a 30 gal. steel drum for mine. A 55 gallon Drum would be better. If I can find a flat plate and weld it on top, I could actually cook on that.

Consider a backup heat source.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

So I now recommend Preppers, planning to bug in consider a Barrel stove or two. The kits to make them are about $45. The venting cost me $60 or so (Big R, carries a surprising number of options). I used a 30 gal. steel drum for mine. A 55 gallon Drum would be better. If I can find a flat plate and weld it on top, I could actually cook on that.

Consider a backup heat source.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
02-23-2017, 09:36 AM,
RE: A real time winter experience...
Threads: 376
That is a good thing. Having a backup heat source and power source that are proven to work is very important. In your case it sounds like you had a slight inconvenience with your furnace failure where you were able to put into place one of your backup plans. Great Job! This just proves that "Prepping" or "Preparing" or just being prepared is a good thing and not some crack pot idea that others label it.
Find