Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug Out Shotgun
10-02-2014, 09:23 AM,
Bug Out Shotgun
Threads: 53
My cousin asked an interesting question last night. Bug out shotgun, would you only take one barrel? If so which one? Or would you bring a couple of them?

Anything else you would do to prepare one for a situation?
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

— Luke 22:36, NIV

Anything else you would do to prepare one for a situation?
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

Find
10-02-2014, 09:31 AM,
RE: Bug Out Shotgun
Threads: 79
I bought my first one this year. I went with the Mossberg flex for the flexibility. I keep an 18.5 in. barrel and standard stock for home defense. I have a 28 in. for sporting clays, and I have the short stock for easy carry. If I really had to bug and took it, I would carry with the 18.5 and short barrel (like the JIT) and carry the standard stock separate. The flex makes changing all this easy. I am not sure carrying the extra 28 in. barrel would be worth the real estate in a bag.
Find
10-02-2014, 09:45 AM,
Threads: 124
I've given this a lot of thought. What to carry in SHTF BUGOUT. I have many firearms. I can tell you the choices are tough. I view shotguns as a luxury weapon in the field. Yes, I'd pass out every gun and ammo in my inventory, but my choice comes down to .308 battle rifle, .45ACP sidearm, and a 9mm side arm as what I am carrying. The idea that you can carry 2-3 long guns is not reasonable for more than a day. Given a group of people, if the group is large enough, maybe one Shotgun. Shotgun's are good weapons SHORT range. Ammo is heavy and bulky. Reloading is difficult. If you have 6-12 people, then a shotgun or two make sense. If you are bugging in they make sense. If you are an urban area or foresee the need to clear a room, one might be useful. But I tend to view them as a luxury item in SHTF.

In the field, a rifle is the always the BEST choice. And given that you were forced to bugout, you probably want to lay low and avoid all contact at all costs.
SHTF BUGOUT. I have many firearms. I can tell you the choices are tough. I view shotguns as a luxury weapon in the field. Yes, I'd pass out every gun and ammo in my inventory, but my choice comes down to .308 battle rifle, .45ACP sidearm, and a 9mm side arm as what I am carrying. The idea that you can carry 2-3 long guns is not reasonable for more than a day. Given a group of people, if the group is large enough, maybe one Shotgun. Shotgun's are good weapons SHORT range. Ammo is heavy and bulky. Reloading is difficult. If you have 6-12 people, then a shotgun or two make sense. If you are bugging in they make sense. If you are an urban area or foresee the need to clear a room, one might be useful. But I tend to view them as a luxury item in SHTF.

In the field, a rifle is the always the BEST choice. And given that you were forced to bugout, you probably want to lay low and avoid all contact at all costs.
Find
10-02-2014, 10:13 AM,
My thought was a barrel sock kind of idea to essentially have off the side of the bag, but that's still taking up real estate and extra weight. I have a 28" smooth bore, 24" rifled and want a 20" smooth for home.

I guess it depends on your environment and how far you plan to travel... But I think, if I'm going with just the shotgun and a side arm I'd probably bring at least the 28" and the rifled barrel with me. If I brought a rifle... Most likely just a 20" smooth bore..

My main thought with keeping the longer barrel would be hunting... Depending if the bug out is temporary or not

I guess it depends on your environment and how far you plan to travel... But I think, if I'm going with just the shotgun and a side arm I'd probably bring at least the 28" and the rifled barrel with me. If I brought a rifle... Most likely just a 20" smooth bore..

My main thought with keeping the longer barrel would be hunting... Depending if the bug out is temporary or not

Find
10-02-2014, 11:24 AM,
Threads: 54
My ideal one would be a saiga shotgun. Mixes the ak with the shotgun. I would believe slugs could be fired from it for longer ranges. And buckshot for close up.
Find
10-02-2014, 11:50 AM,
I'd agree with you 308 on it being more of a luxury item. But i do think it adds some useful versatility to the group. But your definitely right about the ammo being bulky.

Half the reason I'm wondering is right now that's all I have, I'm planning on building (or buying) a rifle for myself that would be geared a bit more to this scenario. And if I do get that, chances are one of my buddies or my girlfriend would carry the shotgun (if my situation is arranged like it is right now). So kinda covering the bases as far as that goes... But it'll take time I think till I can get myself a nice rifle for any situation.

Half the reason I'm wondering is right now that's all I have, I'm planning on building (or buying) a rifle for myself that would be geared a bit more to this scenario. And if I do get that, chances are one of my buddies or my girlfriend would carry the shotgun (if my situation is arranged like it is right now). So kinda covering the bases as far as that goes... But it'll take time I think till I can get myself a nice rifle for any situation.

Find
10-02-2014, 12:25 PM,
The ammo weight and bulk is another issue. Compare 300 rds of 5.56mm or 300 rds of .308 (heavy) or 300 shotgun shells (very heavy and very, very bulky 12 x 25 rd boxes will fill a whole backpack.

In an urban environment, a shotgun has value. For hunting ducks and other birds also.
For other hunting, I think a rifle serves you better.

If you are going the shotgun route get some ammo bandoliers.

Try carrying a battle rifle, 12 magazines, 2 pistols (4 mags each) and a 40lb-50lb pack around all day. Add in body armor and you carting around 100 lbs easy. Now I'm sure the military loads are worse, but I'm not 25 anymore.

Note, none of this includes cold weather gear, optics, etc...

In an urban environment, a shotgun has value. For hunting ducks and other birds also.
For other hunting, I think a rifle serves you better.

If you are going the shotgun route get some ammo bandoliers.

Try carrying a battle rifle, 12 magazines, 2 pistols (4 mags each) and a 40lb-50lb pack around all day. Add in body armor and you carting around 100 lbs easy. Now I'm sure the military loads are worse, but I'm not 25 anymore.

Note, none of this includes cold weather gear, optics, etc...
Find
10-02-2014, 01:59 PM,
Definitely not an ideal gun for traveling because of ammo, and you'd easily be pushing 150 with cold gear and camping supplies with some armor. I've gone camping multiple times up in the Boundary Waters and in Canada and we lugged around all our gear and a canoe. When I envision having to bug, I figure trying to carry a similar pack, but then adding in weapons and ammo... It's hard going.

Find
10-02-2014, 02:31 PM,
Weight becomes important. And bugout weight even more so, as you may not have anywhere to go, or any pre-disposed supplies. Medical, food, ammo become much more important. Fire and Water purification paramount as well. Remember, refugees usually get killed, interned or become slave labor. Have a plan to go somewhere. And pretty much any plan is better than none.
Find
10-02-2014, 06:33 PM,
Threads: 61
A good shotgun is a very valuable tool given their versatility and ammo choices. I will always grab one of my Mossberg 500s to go with me. Ammo availability is another huge plus. There is ALWAYS shotgun ammo everywhere.
"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Website Find
10-02-2014, 10:03 PM,
(10-02-2014, 06:33 PM)RJDSRT Wrote: A good shotgun is a very valuable tool given their versatility and ammo choices. I will always grab one of my Mossberg 500s to go with me. Ammo availability is another huge plus. There is ALWAYS shotgun ammo everywhere.

Yep pretty much every guy here has a 12 gauge its pretty universal. But also if you are thinking about ammo. There are belts that hold quite a bit of ammo, and it will be on the hips to help with the weight. But also when it comes to hunting a battle rifle would overkill on most animals. But f I r me with a young family we would not move alot it would be far more defensive. So a shotgun would have the perks of I would want
(10-02-2014, 06:33 PM)RJDSRT Wrote: A good shotgun is a very valuable tool given their versatility and ammo choices. I will always grab one of my Mossberg 500s to go with me. Ammo availability is another huge plus. There is ALWAYS shotgun ammo everywhere.
Yep pretty much every guy here has a 12 gauge its pretty universal. But also if you are thinking about ammo. There are belts that hold quite a bit of ammo, and it will be on the hips to help with the weight. But also when it comes to hunting a battle rifle would overkill on most animals. But f I r me with a young family we would not move alot it would be far more defensive. So a shotgun would have the perks of I would want
Find
10-02-2014, 10:08 PM,
Threads: 207
(10-02-2014, 10:03 PM)fromtheplaines Wrote:

DITTO!!!
(10-02-2014, 10:03 PM)fromtheplaines Wrote:

DITTO!!!
Find
10-02-2014, 10:37 PM,
My first choice is the shotgun.. Which is part of the reason I wanted that. The versatility now, and if anything happened it's still just as useful. Plus, they're very simple. And I've been wanting to look into belt and various shell holders... Anybody had any likes or dislikes using any belts or slings? I think that's one of the only ways to get around it taking too much space. The ammo is the biggest problem if you have to carry everything with you day to day. Like 308 said, it is heavy and bulky.

It's all style and preference though! Probably the best part of being able to get opinions like this. Makes you think of things you overlooked before in your plans.

It's all style and preference though! Probably the best part of being able to get opinions like this. Makes you think of things you overlooked before in your plans.

Find
10-02-2014, 10:43 PM,
Well I don't own any. But if I bought one it would be the belt. I think it would make a lot less noise. Also a sling can be used to help steady a shot and and a bandolier would get in the way. Also you mag want to look at getting a tube extendor
Find
10-02-2014, 10:49 PM,
She holds 8 rounds as is, but I can't get an extender because the way the barrel mounts is screwing into the end of the tube.. I was looking at the shell holders that attach to the side of the gun as well, but they're all four the 500, I haven't had any confirmation that they'll secure to a 535 yet... Need to look into it more. That might also be in the way though. I'll have to handle it a little more to decide

Find
10-02-2014, 11:43 PM,
You can look at speed stocks I don't know if they make them for Mossberg
Find
10-02-2014, 11:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 11:59 PM by Brian S.)
Threads: 21
I've been hitting the walls the past few years talking to people about stocks and a few other items for a Mossberg 835. Nobody lists a composite stock and forend for the 835. I finally emailed Mossberg to find out where I can find "Stuff" for the 835. Next day reply was other than the receiver, for the most part if it fits a 500 it will fit an 835. Makes sense since I've had an 835 pistol grip for the gun for many years. If your looking for a shell holder, compare your 500 or 535 with each other, make sure the pins or screws on the flat side of the receiver are the same, most likely they are. Makes sense to me for a Mfg. to make as many interchangeable parts on assorted models. Makes it easy and cost efficient to build new models. One of the many reasons I like my Glocks. Every citizen in the U.S should have a Mossberg or Remington shotgun and a Glock on hand... IMHO.

(10-02-2014, 11:43 PM)fromtheplaines Wrote: You can look at speed stocks I don't know if they make them for Mossberg

Mossberg has speedstocks for the 500. May not be listed on their website but it's in their catalog. I never realized how much stuff Mossberg has until a catalog showed up in my mailbox.
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated

(10-02-2014, 11:43 PM)fromtheplaines Wrote: You can look at speed stocks I don't know if they make them for Mossberg

Mossberg has speedstocks for the 500. May not be listed on their website but it's in their catalog. I never realized how much stuff Mossberg has until a catalog showed up in my mailbox.
Click Here ~~~~>Glock Often Imitated....Never Duplicated
Find
10-03-2014, 06:47 AM,
I should definitely take a closer look at the website too.. But that's good to know that their 500 should be able to cross over. From what I read the barrels for mine and the 500 can switch but I just can't load the 3.5 shells with it

Find
10-03-2014, 10:26 AM,
Seriously, in a Bug Out SHTF scenario, you guys are choosing a shotgun over a battle rifle? I mean, I understand if you live in or near an urban area, or if it is all you have... Or if you are part of a large group, but I'd take the rifle every time. IMHO in the field you are way better off with a rifle. Just saying...
Find
10-03-2014, 12:06 PM,
The battle rifle would have more expertise in most the situations, which is one reason I want one. A rifle has the ability to reach out much farther which would give you superior firepower than most especially if you have everything dialed in right. Hunting would be more selective, but you could still hunt so I wouldn't count that as a negative. And the ability to carry more ammo.

However, just in defense of the shotgun, like they mentioned everybody has one.. Walking into a house to try and find supplies you'd be more likely to find shotgun ammo (also more likely for people to want...). They're an easy quick cover all the bases kind of weapon too. I also feel there less to go wrong with a shotgun. One reason I selected to purchase it first is I can use it more right now, and it can cover everything from home defense, to sport, and hunting.

I'm not really trying to play both sides... The rifle is the superior fire power, and while the shotgun can be heavy and take up lots of space, it does cover a lot of bases and for a very low price comparatively. I think either could do you right, I think lack of survival skills would do you wrong before any difference between the shotty or a rifle.

However! I also qualify under suburban area, and it's all I have. Haha so I'm not sure how far my opinion can go with that, but those are my lunchtime thoughts for now.

However, just in defense of the shotgun, like they mentioned everybody has one.. Walking into a house to try and find supplies you'd be more likely to find shotgun ammo (also more likely for people to want...). They're an easy quick cover all the bases kind of weapon too. I also feel there less to go wrong with a shotgun. One reason I selected to purchase it first is I can use it more right now, and it can cover everything from home defense, to sport, and hunting.

I'm not really trying to play both sides... The rifle is the superior fire power, and while the shotgun can be heavy and take up lots of space, it does cover a lot of bases and for a very low price comparatively. I think either could do you right, I think lack of survival skills would do you wrong before any difference between the shotty or a rifle.

However! I also qualify under suburban area, and it's all I have. Haha so I'm not sure how far my opinion can go with that, but those are my lunchtime thoughts for now.

Find