Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gun Safes
10-25-2014, 11:36 AM,
Gun Safes
Threads: 56
Alright soon as TFarrell and I get a place the first thing I want to invest in is a nice/big safe. Don't have a ton of guns yet to fill it with but want lots of room for growth.

Let's see some pictures of your safes inside and out! Also what kind and thoughts about it!

Let's see some pictures of your safes inside and out! Also what kind and thoughts about it!
Find
10-25-2014, 12:01 PM,
RE: Gun Safes
Threads: 124
First off a safe is only as good as where you put it. A decent safe cracker can get into a gun safe in a few minutes with a high quality drill or by touch. Delay time less than 10 minutes.

Professional criminals use large pry bars, torches and diamond tipped saws. Best thing to do is locate a safe in a basement corner, and bolt it to the two walls and floor. This protects 3 sides and prevents them from using pry bars effectively. Get a safe with thicker sides. If they can get the safe on it's back a pry bar attack can get into a cheaper safe pretty damn fast (10-15 minutes). Upright, with a concrete wall on the left side of the safe can defeat most pry bar attacks.

Most thieves don't have cutting torches or the time to use them. Saws make lots of noise and need power nearby, plus they take a lot of time against good quality steel.

That said a gun safe will defeat 80% of criminals, if you do that. You can find many example video's online.

I selected a Stack On Total Defense (28 gun) with old school combo lock. It seems well built. It holds maybe a 12 long guns on each side. So I'd say 28 long guns is pushing it. The pictures always show one side with shelves. They are easy to take in and out. The safe can hold 6 hand guns easy on the door.

I purchased this through RDA, and am quite happy with it. Coupled with an alarm system it should be able to defeat any theft until the police arrive.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper

Professional criminals use large pry bars, torches and diamond tipped saws. Best thing to do is locate a safe in a basement corner, and bolt it to the two walls and floor. This protects 3 sides and prevents them from using pry bars effectively. Get a safe with thicker sides. If they can get the safe on it's back a pry bar attack can get into a cheaper safe pretty damn fast (10-15 minutes). Upright, with a concrete wall on the left side of the safe can defeat most pry bar attacks.

Most thieves don't have cutting torches or the time to use them. Saws make lots of noise and need power nearby, plus they take a lot of time against good quality steel.

That said a gun safe will defeat 80% of criminals, if you do that. You can find many example video's online.

I selected a Stack On Total Defense (28 gun) with old school combo lock. It seems well built. It holds maybe a 12 long guns on each side. So I'd say 28 long guns is pushing it. The pictures always show one side with shelves. They are easy to take in and out. The safe can hold 6 hand guns easy on the door.

I purchased this through RDA, and am quite happy with it. Coupled with an alarm system it should be able to defeat any theft until the police arrive.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Col. Jeff Cooper
Find
10-25-2014, 06:02 PM,
Threads: 53
I've been looking lightly into safes... But so far I don't think I'd have much is for one yet... But I'd still like to get one..
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

— Luke 22:36, NIV
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one.”

— Luke 22:36, NIV
Find
10-25-2014, 06:53 PM,
Ya I have been looking at them too. I have seen a few different ones that I like but still trying to decide on a size and options.
Find
10-25-2014, 07:06 PM,
Threads: 55
BelieveIn308, how did you transport the safe from RDA to home?

I would like to get one but transportation always seems like a PITA. I heard the door comes off on some so it really cuts the weight down when carrying it up stairs.

I would like to get one but transportation always seems like a PITA. I heard the door comes off on some so it really cuts the weight down when carrying it up stairs.
Find
10-25-2014, 07:16 PM,
I always assumed I would just hire movers once I am ready to purchase one. Let them worry about it. Not to mention they are insured so if it gets messed up it is on them.
Find
10-25-2014, 07:47 PM,
Threads: 54
I have one if the cheaper ones. I am not worried as much about thieves. I am more worried about when my kids get older to deter them, which it should keep them out.
Find
10-25-2014, 07:49 PM,
Threads: 1
(10-25-2014, 11:36 AM)jfergus7 Wrote: Alright soon as TFarrell and I get a place the first thing I want to invest in is a nice/big safe. Don't have a ton of guns yet to fill it with but want lots of room for growth.

I am very happy with my Revolution safe, a value line of Pendleton Safes. Here is a stock photo.
(10-25-2014, 11:36 AM)jfergus7 Wrote: Alright soon as TFarrell and I get a place the first thing I want to invest in is a nice/big safe. Don't have a ton of guns yet to fill it with but want lots of room for growth.

I am very happy with my Revolution safe, a value line of Pendleton Safes. Here is a stock photo.
Find
10-25-2014, 07:50 PM,
I see you bought the invisible version! LOL Not seeing the picture Lori
Find
10-25-2014, 07:53 PM,
Threads: 1
Well, it must be the invisible model. I am a a Forum a Rookie. It tells me that my pic file is too large?
Find
10-25-2014, 09:52 PM,
(10-25-2014, 07:53 PM)Lori B Wrote: Well, it must be the invisible model. I am a a Forum a Rookie. It tells me that my pic file is too large?

That's alright. I will have to look those up. Not sure that I am familiar with them.
(10-25-2014, 07:53 PM)Lori B Wrote: Well, it must be the invisible model. I am a a Forum a Rookie. It tells me that my pic file is too large?
That's alright. I will have to look those up. Not sure that I am familiar with them.
Find
10-25-2014, 11:18 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-25-2014, 11:20 PM by BelieveIn308.)
Actually, RDA arranged delivery. I helped the guy that brought it, and it was a fairly easy move as I have a walk out basement. It's about 400lbs. Dolly-able. with 2-3 guys. Think of it as moving a heavy fridge. I don't think the door comes off on the model I bought.

RDA probably can assist or at least advise in placing it safely. Ask the experts.

P.S. Lori, I have a camo "Keep Calm" T shirt... Keep Calm and Return Fire

RDA probably can assist or at least advise in placing it safely. Ask the experts.

P.S. Lori, I have a camo "Keep Calm" T shirt... Keep Calm and Return Fire
Find
10-26-2014, 05:24 PM,
Threads: 207
Yeah, but the guy that delivered your safe is one hell of great guy. Smile
Find
12-21-2014, 01:00 PM,
Threads: 376
I already have one safe and it was a custom build. Next safe (just after the first of the year) is a Liberty Safe. We have a place called Coastal Farm and Ranch that carries them in stock. Prices depending on the model are 650 to 3k. They are nice and secure safes.
http://www.libertysafe.com/
Find
12-21-2014, 05:06 PM,
Threads: 35
This is a good thread. A safe is step one but location is really the key. It has to be bolted down or attached to something. I like Kens idea of basement corner to protect 3 sides of it. Thieves cant walk away with it because its in a basement and bolted down.
[Image: ericsign.jpg]
Find
12-21-2014, 07:11 PM,
Threads: 376
I don't have a basement but my current one is bolted and protected with built -ins on two sides and a brick structure on the other side. The next one will be set up the same way. The other nice thing is that they are hidden behind two doors. Out of sight out of mind. Plus the amount of stuff thats in the current one makes it very very heavy. Dry weight is 600.
Find
12-21-2014, 07:16 PM,
Threads: 35
I had a gun cabinet that was in the a corner and my bed was on the older side. It had a lot of ammo in it too. It was impossible to move because of the weight and the power coating finish made it super slick.
Find
12-21-2014, 09:32 PM,
I have mine bolted to the floor in a corner of my basement which only leaves 3 sides available to attack. The best thing is to prevent the safe from being placed on it's back and to prevent pry bars from getting at the door. Still a good safe cracker will be in the safe in minutes, via drill or cutting torch. Hopefully by then the police will arrive, because they triggered an alarm.
Find
12-21-2014, 11:06 PM,
Threads: 53
I do like the basement corner... I'm searching for a house this year and I'm hoping to have find one with a basement for this purpose. and then the general storing of all the other crap I'm sure I'll accumulate in the not so distant future.

I was thinking that and then a gun cabinet in the bed room with a hidden key ect for anything that I am using/screwing around with.

Anybody here a fan of hidden safes and book safes?

Tactical Walls

I was thinking that and then a gun cabinet in the bed room with a hidden key ect for anything that I am using/screwing around with.

Anybody here a fan of hidden safes and book safes?

Tactical Walls
Find
12-21-2014, 11:16 PM,
Threads: 207
Hidden safes tend to be small. They are cool.
Find